About this product
Part Number: 12059
"The [Rowe-Ackerman Schmidt] Astrograph’s performance was extremely good. Using a DSLR with an APS-C sensor, the scope gave us a measured field of view of 1.6x2 degrees. We found our images went deep very quickly, a five-second test at ISO 1600 showing a tremendous amount of detail in and around the Orion Nebula, M42. The billowing nebula had lots of fine structure in it and this was even more impressive when we compared the shot with a similar field taken by a 4-inch apochromatic refractor. The larger aperture of the RASA really delivered a tremendous improvement in resolution. The start were sharp across the entire field and showed no serious distortion right to the frame corners. The four-element lens group in the centre of the corrector really did its job well; the quality of the field was quite superb." Pete Lawrence writing for BBC Sky at Night magazine.
The NEW Celestron astrograph telescope features 11" f/2.2 Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt optics and rare-earth glass for images free from false colour, coma and field curvature. The large 70mm imaging circle ensures pinpoint stars to the edges of the largest imaging sensors. Custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing reduces image shift and a dual-speed 10:1 FeatherTouch micro focuser ensures precise, smooth focussing. A built-in, quiet, high-output 12v MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and prevents dust entering the telescope.
This fast, wide-field f/2.2 system offers two huge advantages over traditional f/10 astroimaging: better apparent tracking and shorter exposures. That means you’ll create better-looking astroimages in a fraction of the time, even without the use of an autoguider.
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph builds on the legacy of Celestron’s Schmidt Camera, which allowed astrophotographers to produce images on film in the 1970s.
Today, with CCD sensor sizes as large as film—or larger—the Schmidt Astrograph offers a full 70 mm optimised image circle to capture pinpoint stars on the largest imaging chips. Combine this large image circle with a focal length of just 620 mm and you have an instrument suitable for wide-field imaging, creating huge mosaics of the night sky, surveying, and even comet hunting.
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph features newly designed optics with 4-element rare-earth glass for images free of false colour and aberrations like coma and field curvature. The optical quality and spot size across the entire image circle is unprecedented for an astrograph in this price range—or even that of a much more expensive instrument. The design also provides minimal vignetting.
Advanced features like a custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing and FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob allow you to make the fine adjustments you need to capture the perfect shot. Meanwhile, a12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and provides optimal airflow through the dust filtered optical tube.
Engineered as a complete astroimaging system, every component of the Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph is optimised for peak performance with DSLR and astronomical CCD cameras. Down to the thickness of the glass used in the included fully-multicoated optical window or an optional imaging filter, every component of the system has been taken into careful consideration to work together seamlessly.
Celestron CGX Mount
For eight years, Celestron’s workhorse CGEM mount lineup has been the German Equatorial backbone for telescopes ranging from 6 to 11 inches of aperture. Since that time, many more astro-imagers and planetarium controlled setups have emerged as backyard telescope technology has evolved. Celestron’s engineering team applied their years of experience designing German Equatorial mounts to the all-new CGX EQ, a culmination of all the advancements made to Celestron’s technologies, value, and ease-of-use.
The new CGX was designed to support your telescope for both visual and astro-imaging pursuits. Key design goals included a lower profile EQ head for a more compact and therefore more stable setup; a better drive system; remote operation-friendly with home and limit optical sensors; easier polar alignment adjustments and better cable management. In addition, there are several mechanical and ergonomic improvements to make the mount sturdier, easier to use and transport.
CGX Intro Video
- Ultra-fast, 11-inch f/2.2 optical design with rare-earth glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature. Cuts imaging time by more than half
- Expansive 43.3 optimized image circle maintains pinpoint stars to the far corners of even the largest astroimaging sensors, while the usable field extends even further to 52 mm for larger format sensors.
- Custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing reduces image shift, while dual-speed 10:1 FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob provides the most precise focusing
- Quiet, high-output 12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and blocks dust
- Common camera adapters (T-thread and M48) included for easy attachment to popular CCD and DSLR cameras
CGX MOUNT FEATURES
- All-new design. Sturdier and more rigid with quicker dampening time
- Increased load capacity to 55 lbs.
- Improved motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads
- Heavy Duty belt-drive system minimises backlash while providing smooth motor operation under heavy loads
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevents cable tension and tripod strike
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail safe
- Brand new control software developed in conjunction with PlaneWave Instruments for professional level control operation and imaging
- Software includes multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy and many more additional features for remote astroimaging
- Wider tripod stance for improved stability
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3º-65º latitude range
- Dual-fit CG-5/Vixen and CGE/Losmandy dovetail saddle
IMPROVED TRIPOD FEATURES
- 2" steel legs with height index marks for quick leveling
- "Jack of all trays" can hold three 1.25" eyepieces, two 2" eyepieces, your smartphone, or other accessories
- +20º of additional tracking past the meridian on either side
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport
CGX MOUNT ERGONOMICS
- All-new ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system
- All-new ergonomic latitude adjuster for smooth and easy adjustment under full loads
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope - coming soon
CGX MOUNT ELECTRONICS
- All-new NexStar+ hand control with USB port
- Two AUX accessory ports to support wireless/WiFi alignment and operation with StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module accessories (sold separately)
- USB 2.0 port, used to connect directly to PC with included software
- Autoguider port
- PPEC ready
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved)
What's in the box
- Telescope OTA
- CGX Equatorial Head
- CGX Tripod
- Accessory Tray
- 4x 5kg / 11lbs Counterweight
- NexStar+ Hand Control
- DC Power Cable (Cigar Plug)
|Optical Design||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt|
|Aperture (mm)||279 mm (11 in)|
|Focal Length||620 mm|
|Backfocus from front lens assembly||72.8 mm|
|Backfocus from included camera adapters||55 mm|
|Central obstruction diameter||114mm|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||1588x|
|Optical Coatings||StarBright XLT|
|Total Telescope Kit Weight||43lbs|
|Includd Items||Total Telescope Kit Weight|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||0.5 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.41 arc seconds|
|Optical Tube Length||33in|
|Instrument load capacity||55lbs|
|Tripod height adjustment range||47.25” to 77.5” including EQ head|
|Tripod leg diameter||2"|
|Latitude adjustment range||3º-65º|
|Tripod Weight||19.2 lbs|
|EQ Head Weight||44 lbs|
|Max Slew Speed||5º/second (4º/second is default)|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Number of Auxiliary ports (for hand control and accessories)||2|
|Software||New telescope control PC software|
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.