About this product
Part Number: 94242
Celestron’s new EdgeHD reducers features a custom 4 element optical design engineered to maintain the flat-field performance of our award winning EdgeHD optical system. Unlike generic reducers, our premium reducers provide substantial back focus to accommodate an assortment of imaging accessories.
EdgeHD reducers offer high index optical elements, including extra low dispersion, exotic Lanthanum elements, which provide high contrast viewing while minimizing chromatic aberration. All air to glass lens surfaces feature multiple layers of coating for maximum light transmission and color correction and contain blacken edges to minimize internal reflection and maximize image contrast.
Incorporating computer assisted CNC machined aluminum housing, for precise spacing and alignment of optical elements, and threaded metal covers on the lens assembly to protect your investment from dust and scratches, our reducers offer you an outstanding mechanical design.
With the Fastar option on all EdgeHD optical systems, coupled with the .7x reducer, your telescope becomes the most complete imaging system available in its price range today.
- Design: 4-element optical layout designed specifically for the EdgeHD 8" to maintain the flat-field performance of the Edge HD optical design
- 105mm of back focus: Provides generous back focus to accommodate additional accessories and a wide variety of cameras. Also allows use of existing T-adapters for EdgeHD 800 and other Celestron imaging accessories
- One full F-Stop faster than f/10: Reduces the exposure time by one-half to capture the same brightness of object
- Increase field of view by 43%: Better for capturing wide field images of larger galaxies and nebulae
- Lanthanum Glass Elements: EdgeHD reducer uses "rare earth" Lanthanum glass elements for clear, high contrast viewing while minimizing chromatic aberration
- Fully multi-coated lens elements: All air-to-glass surfaces have multiple layers of coating for maximum light transmission and color correction
- Blacken edges: All lens elements have blacken edges to minimize internal reflection and maximize contrast
Full Frame Design
- Optimized for APS-C sized sensors: Including most DSLR cameras and Nightscape CCD cameras
- Machined aluminum housing: Computer assisted CNC machined aluminum housing for precise spacing and alignment of the optical elements.
- Threaded metal covers for both ends of the lens assembly: To protect your investment from unwanted dust and scratches.
Provides and intermediate focal length between EdgeHD's native f/10 (or f/11) and the optional Hyperstar accessory at f/2, making the EdgeHD the most complete imaging system in its price range
- The EdgeHD .7x Focal Reducer Lens makes your EdgeHD 800 one full f-stop faster than f/10, doubling the equivalent exposure at f/10
- 4-element lens design
- Maintains similar flat-field performance as native EdgeHD optical design
- Increases field of view by 43% (double by area) to better capture wide field images
- Optimized for APS-C sized sensors, including most DSLR cameras and Nightscape CCD cameras
- Provides generous 105mm back focus to accomodate additional accessories and a wide variety of cameras
- Compatible with EdgeHD 800 T-adapter
Please Note: The optimum photographic back focus of the EdgeHD 8” is 105 mm when used with #94242 Reducer Lens at f/7. The Celestron Off-Axis Guider, when used with the Celestron reducer and a DSLR, reaches appx 120mm. Therefore because the 105mm distance is so critical, the Off-Axis Guider is not typically compatible for use with the EdgeHD 8" and Reducer lens combination. The EdgeHD 11" and 14" all keep the same 146mm back focus with or without the reducer so are not affected.
Downloads / Manuals
The following manuals and downloads are available for this product:
Celestron Reducer Lens .7x for EdgeHD 800 Installation Manual
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |
Sunday, 14 July 2019 | Rodger
Have now been able to try this out on a couple of clear nights and couldn't be happier.
The Edge HD800 is great at F10 and this reducer makes it even easier to obtain wider fields of view.
Not for the inexperienced though; get the back focus distance even slightly off end things start to go wrong - 105mm +- 0.5 needs to be achieved.
Also it exaggerates any collimation errors. The Edge HD comes very well collimated and checking with a laser backed this up.
On first use of the reducer stars were more like comets than anything else. Collimation adjustment of just 1/64th of a turn on the right screws corrects this but due to the tiny amount of adjustment needed it can be quite fiddly to get this just on the sweet spot.
Once fully adjusted the results are fantastic!!!
Celestron 0,7x Reducer for C800 Edge HD
Monday, 1 October 2018 | Herbert
This is a well machined optical Jewel at a reasonary price point.
Please fill in the form below to ask a question.
Q1. Does this reducer work well with the VX 8" EdgeHD and what does it change the focal length to?
The Edge reducers are matched to the SCT and work very well for reducing the focal Ratio when imaging, it will change the focal ratio of the Edge SCT from f10 to f7.